Google Inc. will employ artificial intelligence in an attempt to calm down the furor over the scandal with advertisements on YouTube which can strip it of millions of dollars in annual revenue.
The company said it will use the tools to identify controversial content. The company also pledged to offer its clients more control over where their ads pop up, to hire more people to review videos, and shorten the time needed to go through the content that has been labeled inappropriate and discriminatory. Google revealed it will prevent ads from playing on certain levels of brand safety.
The search giant faced an advertising boycott, after more than 250 companies decided to suspend contracts because their ads appeared next to hateful and offensive content, so it turned out that they unwillingly funded makers of controversial videos.
The list of clients that decided to block their cooperation with the company based in Menlo Park, California, includes the United Kingdom government, the Guardian, Starbucks, General Motors and Mercedes-Benz.
Google’s chief business officer Philipp Schindler said in Monday’s interview to technology news website Rand, referring to the frequency of videos appearing in this context, that the issue had been overblown as “the numbers are tiny, tiny.”